Wednesday, September 11, 2013

neighborhood news

Dear neighbors,
Hard to believe it is fall already but the school buses are rolling through so I guess it really is! I hope everyone enjoyed a restful summer with a break from your normal activities.

I have two notes below from my neighbor, Eva. She is collecting donations of food for Philabundance in Philly and also school supplies for a classroom in Philly. Please consider donating...she has made it very easy for you - just drop things off at her house. Many thanks to Eva for giving us the opportunity to help!
Carol

Carol Pfister
gwyneddknoll@gmail.com
215-661-8775

Dear Friends,
 
Last year, many of you contributed to the Philabundance food bank in Philadelphia which supplies many food resource centers in the city and beyond, even the Ambler Food Cupboard.  Your generosity was so great that we filled an SUV from top to bottom and the Philabundance workers were very impressed that a couple of neighborhoods were able to collect such a large amount.  September is hunger awareness month and we are once again asking you to extend your hand to those less able to feed themselves and their families.  Philabundance accepts nonperishable food items (they also distribute fresh food but that generally comes from wholesalers and farms).  Specifically, some suggested items are canned tuna, macaroni and cheese, canned pasta, canned beef stew, canned chili, creamy peanut butter, jelly, canned green beans, canned corn, breakfast cereal and hot cereal.
We will deliver the food items to Philabundance.  Please consider dropping off a few needed grocery goods at Eva O'Brien's back porch, 1424 Cambridge Drive or Debbie Beardsley's front door, 1301 E. Meetinghouse Road anytime starting now until September 16th.  If you have any questions, feel free to call Debbie at 215-542-2398.
 
Thank you,
 
Debbie Beardsley &  Eva O'Brien


I have been working at Wissahickon Middle School for the past nine years.  This year I am working with a wonderful teacher in 6th grade. A very good friend of hers teaches 2nd grade in Philadelphia.  You may have been seeing in the news that they are working with a very limited budget.  This teacher has been purchasing school supplies for the students and her classroom herself.   We are both collecting supplies that she needs.  

I am not asking anyone to go out and buy items but if you have any school supplies that your children are not using (I know I have four boys and the school supply surplus in my storage area is perfect for her) If you have any items you would like to donate to this cause, please leave them on my back porch. Just pull in the driveway and I have a screened in porch.

If you have any questions, or need me to pick up anything, please call me at 215 661-8764.

My address is 1424 Cambridge Drive

                           North Wales PA 19454

 Thank you,  Eva O'Brien



No comments: